What to Do If Injured While Working for the B.O.P.?

If you are injured while working for the Bureau of Prisons (BOP), there are a few things you should do:

  • Report the OWCP injury to your supervisor immediately. Your supervisor will fill out an Employee Injury Report form (BP-S758.016) and send it to the Safety Manager.
  • Seek medical attention, if necessary. If you need to go to the hospital or see a doctor, your supervisor will give you a copy of the Federal Employee Injury Report form to take with you.
  • File a workers’ compensation claim. You can do this by completing a Form BP-A658.016, Inmate Claim for Compensation Resulting from Work Injury. You can get this form from your supervisor or the Safety Department.
  • Keep copies of all medical records and other documentation related to your injury. This will help you support your workers’ compensation claim.

The BOP has a Workers’ Compensation Program to provide benefits to employees who are injured while on the job. These benefits may include medical coverage, lost wages, and permanent disability benefits.

If you are unable to return to your regular job duties due to your injury, your supervisor may be able to assign you to a temporary, light-duty job. This is called Temporary Assigned Duty (TAD). TAD assignments are typically temporary, but they can be extended if necessary.

If you have any questions about the Workers’ Compensation Program or filing a workers’ compensation claim, you can contact the BOP’s Workers’ Compensation Coordinator at 202-307-3324.

Here are some additional tips for dealing with a work-related injury:

  • Be honest with your supervisor and doctor about your injury and the symptoms you are experiencing.
  • Follow your doctor’s orders carefully.
  • Attend all of your medical appointments.
  • Keep a record of your medical expenses and lost wages.
  • If you have any problems with your workers’ compensation claim, contact the Workers’ Compensation Coordinator immediately.
  • It is important to note that you may be eligible for other benefits, such as Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), if you are unable to work due to your injury. You should contact the Social Security Administration to learn more about these programs.