What to Consider When Choosing Your DOL Doctor for Your OWCP Injury
Did you know the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act gives you the right to choose your treating doctor? When choosing a DOL-OWCP treating doctor, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- The doctor’s experience with DOL-OWCP claims. You want to make sure that the DOL doctor you choose is familiar with the DOL-OWCP process and knows how to file and process claims.
- The doctor’s specialty. You want to choose a doctor who is board-certified in the specialty that is relevant to your injury.
- The doctor’s location. You want to choose a OWCP doctor who is located near you so that you can easily get to your appointments.
- The doctor’s communication style. You want to choose a doctor who is easy to talk to and who will communicate with you regularly about your treatment plan.
- The doctor’s bedside manner. You want to choose a doctor who is compassionate and who will make you feel comfortable during your treatment.
Here are some additional tips for choosing a DOL-OWCP treating doctor:
- Ask your employer for recommendations. Your employer may be able to provide you with a list of doctors who have experience treating DOL-OWCP claims.
- Check with your union. If you are a union member, your union may have a list of doctors who are familiar with the DOL-OWCP process.
- Do your own research. You can use the DOL-OWCP website to search for doctors who are enrolled in the program.
Once you have found a few potential doctors, you should schedule appointments with each one to get a feel for their personality and bedside manner. It is important to choose a doctor who you feel comfortable with and who you can trust to provide you with quality care.
Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:
- DOL-OWCP website: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/owcp/FECA/medicalprovider
- OWCP Medical Provider Search: http://owcpmed.dol.gov/portal/provider/search
- National Association of Federal Employees: https://www.nafed.org/
- Federal Employee Rights: https://www.federalemployeerights.com/